Regardless of whether you want to sell your home during the Asheville holiday season, or you simply need to get it moved as quickly as possible, its important to understand that staging your home in the cold snowy weather has a few different tricks then the rest of the year.
1. Provide Safe Passage - Assume that everyone who comes to visit your home might have at least some type of mobility issues. Keep the snow off the walk ways and drive ways and anywhere your potential buyers may want to look. If there is going to be ice, make sure you have lots of rock salt on the path.
2. Decorate for the Holidays - We all love to dress our homes up this time of year, but if you are marketing it to the general population, be sure not to exclude anyone. Snowflakes, snowmen and poinsettias are typically welcome by everyone. Nativity scenes and Menorahs may be more specific then your buyers are looking for.
3. Turn Up the Heat - Although we recommend a cool, non stuffy approach to your thermostat throughout the rest of the year, its equally important that your buyers feel nice and toasty in the winter. The idea is to create a feeling of warmth and safety inside your home, and if its blistering cold outside, don't be afraid to crank it up.
4. Organize Your Snow Gear - Admittedly, especially here in Asheville where we don't get a lot of snow, we don't all have somewhere to put our snow pants, hats, gloves, sleds, googles and boots. However, if people are coming to take a look at your home, we highly recommend it appears that you are ready for it all year. The absence of clutter in a home is quite possibly the most important thing when showing it to buyers, so don't let a couple of snow days ruin your homes great reputation.
5. Let the Summer Shine Through - Just because the sun room and hot tub are closed for the season, doesn't mean you can't show it off. Large pictures of these spaces in the warm months placed on display will help buyers visualize the possibilities of your home.
Even though you may not want to move during the cold months, you must consider the buyers who don't have an option. Some of the best housing transactions happen this time of year because of it. If you are interested in selling your home, buying a new one, or just want help with staging, call us at (828) 707-5642.